Xp clients not updating dns via dhcp updating browser how to
If I do an ipconfig /release and /renew a few times, I can sometimes get the PC to pick up the 69 and 80 DNS settings.
If I then restart the PC, it picks up 11 and 12 again though.
For non-joined machines, it must be manually configured or scripted. If using DHCP Option 015 (Connection Specific Suffix), it must match the zone name and have "Use This Connection’s DNS Suffix in DNS Registration" along with "Register This Connection’s Addresses in DNS" checked in the NIC’s IPv4, Advanced, DNS tab. If the SOA is not available or resolvable, it won’t register.
If the machine’s DNS is statically configured: – It must only point to the internal DNS – It must be joined to the domain in order to authenticate using Kerberos to update. If statically configured and not joined to the domain, the client can’t update if the zone is set to Secure Only. For non-joined domain DHCP clients, you can configure DHCP to update in lieu of the client updating into a Secure Only zone. For any non-Windows statically configured machine, it must support the DNS Dynamic Updates feature and the zone configured to allow Secure and Unsecure updates. If the DNS server is multihomed and not configured properly to work with multihoming, it may cause problems with Dynamic Updates. If the zone is single label name, such as ‘domain’ instead of the proper minimal format of ‘domain.com,’ ‘domain.net,’ etc., it will NOT update. The client will "look" for the SOA of the zone when it attempts registration.
I've checked they are contacting the right DHCP server (the only one available) as the ipconfig it has the ip address of the DHCP server (which happens to be the same as the new primary DNS setting, 69).